We make travel information searching as simple as flight or hotel booking
• USA – Transport.
Wanderu: A website and mobile app that allows travelers to compare and book bus and train tickets in the United States, with options for major cities and smaller destinations.
greentortoise.com – great alternative to long distance bus torture! “By traveling with us, you can leave the hassles of car rental, meal planning, and lodging details behind. Plus, you will reach places no conventional tour company would bring you”.
adventurecycling.org – publishes maps of several lengthy routes, detailing campgrounds, motels, restaurants, bike shops and places of interest. (*United States Bicycle Route System)
⇒ Also сheck оut мore info: Guide to traveling to and getting around in the USA (visittheusa.com)
Transportation systems of major US cities.
- Atlanta ⇒ https://www.itsmarta.com
- Baltimore ⇒ https://mta.maryland.gov
- Boston ⇒ https://www.mbta.com
- Chicago ⇒ https://www.transitchicago.com
- Dallas ⇒ https://www.dart.org
- Denver ⇒ https://www.rtd-denver.com
- Detroit ⇒ https://detroitmi.gov
- Houston ⇒ https://www.ridemetro.org
- Los Angeles ⇒ https://www.metro.net
- Miami ⇒ https://www8.miamidade.gov
- Minneapolis ⇒ https://www.metrotransit.org
- New York City ⇒ https://new.mta.info
- Philadelphia ⇒ https://www.septa.org
- Phoenix ⇒ https://www.valleymetro.org
- Portland ⇒ https://trimet.org
- San Diego ⇒ https://www.sdmts.com
- San Francisco ⇒ https://www.sfmta.com
- Seattle ⇒ https://kingcounty.gov
- St. Louis ⇒ https://www.metrostlouis.org
- Washington, D.C. ⇒ https://www.wmata.com
If you’re travelling on your own and plan on making a lot of stops, buses are by far the cheapest way to get around. Out in the country, buses are fairly scarce, sometimes appearing only once a day, if at all. However, along the main highways, buses run around the clock to a full timetable, stopping only for meal breaks (almost always fast-food chains) and driver changeovers.
Major bus companies include: BoltBus • Greyhound • Jefferson Lines • Megabus • Peter Pan • Trailways • Chinatown buses
GoToBus.com is the leading go-to website for booking inter-city bus ticket online. Intercity bus travel is widespread, but not available everywhere.
⇒ Also сheck оut мore info: *Long-distance bus travel in the United States (wikivoyage)
To avoid possible hassle, travellers should take care to sit as near to the driver as possible, and to arrive during daylight hours – many bus stations are in dodgy areas.
AMTRAK | eTicketing | Interactive Map
Some of the most scenic routes include the California Zephyr that runs between *Emeryville (map) in the San Francisco Bay Area of California to Chicago.
Empire Builder that goes from Chicago to Seattle or Portland.
Alaska Railroad, the only other long-distance railroad in the U.S., connects Alaskan destinations such as Anchorage, Fairbanks and Denali National Park.
⇒ Also сheck оut мore info: *Rail travel in the United States (wikivoyage)
The main points of entry to the United States by plane: Atlanta ⇒ Hartsfield • New York City ⇒ Newark Liberty / John F. Kennedy • Los Angeles • Chicago ⇒ O’Hare • San Francisco • Seattle ⇒ Seattle-Tacoma • Miami • Houston ⇒ George Bush.
Flight Delay Information — Air Traffic Control System Command Center.
⇒ Also сheck оut мore info: *Flying in the United States (wikivoyage.org)
America has the largest system of inland waterways of any country in the world. It is entirely possible to navigate around within the United States by boat ⇒ The New York State Canal System • The St. Lawrence Seaway • *The Mississippi River.
Ferries and water taxis can get you from destination to destination, or simply take you on a scenic tour of local sites.
- NYC Ferry • NY Waterway
- Bluewater Ferry Inc. (USA – Canada).
- Alaska Marine Highway System
- Staten Island Ferry
- Shepler’s Mackinac Island Ferry
- Cape May-Lewes Ferry
- Washington State Ferries – Seattle ⇔ Bremerton
- New Orleans Ferry – Canal Street ⇔ Algiers Point
- Golden Gate Ferry – San Francisco ⇔ Sausalito
- Steamship Authority – Hyannis ⇔ Nantucket
ROADTRIPPERS – #1 road trip planning platform.
For many, the concept of cruising down the highway, preferably in a convertible with the radio blasting, is one of the main reasons to set out on a tour of the USA. The romantic images of countless road movies are not far from the truth, though you don’t have to embark on a wild spree of drinking, drugs and sex to enjoy driving across America.
America’s love affair with the automobile is legendary, so travelling the United States without a car can be difficult.
Car rental: Alamo / Avis / Budget / Dollar / Enterprise / Hertz / Holiday Autos / National / Thrifty
⇒ Also сheck оut мore info: U.S. guide to vehicle rentals and driving tips (visittheusa.com) •*Driving in the United States (wikivoyage)
• Useful websites.
Links to additional resources with useful information for planning your trip.
VISAS & IMMIGRATION.
Entering the USA can be an easy and seamless process when you are prepared. + U.S. visa & entry requirements (visittheusa.com)