Salzburg Hauptbahnhof (map) is served by comprehensive rail connections, with frequent east–west trains serving Vienna, Munich, Innsbruck, and Zürich. The ÖBB Nightjet runs to Salzburg from Germany, Italy and Switzerland.
The railways are managed by the Austrian Federal Railways ÖBB. Wien Hauptbahnhof (map) – is the main railway station in Vienna. The station names of all stops in Vienna start with its German name “Wien“. + Rail Europe
Wien Westbahnhof (map). The services from Salzburg run by the private company WestBahn terminate here. Apart from it, only regional trains serve the Westbahnhof. Westbahn also serves a few other otherwise regional stations such as Wien Mitte and Wien Praterstern.
The Alpen Express is a sleeper train that takes you directly from Amsterdam to Austria’s most famous ski areas in Tirol.
Travelling times between major Austrian cities:
- Vienna ⇔ Salzburg = less than 2,5 hours with ÖBB railjet
- Salzburg ⇔ Innsbruck = less than 2 hours with ÖBB railjet
- Innsbruck ⇔ Bregenz = starting from approx. 2,5 hours
- Vienna ⇔ Graz = 2 hours 38 min.
- Graz ⇔ Linz = starting from approx. 3 hours
- Graz ⇔ Innsbruck = starting from approx. 6 hours