The monumental gate of the kasbah, located uphill and overlooking Rabat below, is considered one of most beautiful gates of Almohad and Moroccan architecture. The oldest current structure at the site of the Kasbah is its main mosque, the Jama’ al-‘Atiqa (“Old Mosque”). Dating from Abd al-Mu’min’s construction in 1150, it was largely restored in the 18th century.
Today, the Kasbah remains a popular free tourist attraction within Rabat, offering scenic views of the Plage of Rabat, the Bou Regreg river. It is mostly occupied by a residential neighborhood, known for its distinct blue and white walls.
The southern part of the kasbah includes a former pavilion (Museum of Oudayas, map) or palace residence built by Sultan Moulay Ismail (ruled 1672-1727) at the end of the 17th century. The museum’s collection expanded to include jewellery, musical instruments, ceramics, Qur’ans and manuscripts (some as old as the 12th century), costumes, silks, and carpets, all from different parts of the country. In 2006, following a restoration, it became the National Jewellery Museum, devoted to the history of Moroccan jewellery, along with some other objects.