Fantasy Fest is a street party held annually in the last week of October in Key West, Florida. Fantasy Fest was initiated in 1979 to attract tourists during the slow season.
Fantasy Fest is an annual 10-day party in paradise for grown-ups. Started in 1979 by a small group of Key West locals, the party was created to bring visitors to the island in what was a typically quiet, but beautiful season. It worked.
⇒ Also сheck оut мore info: Schedule • Photos • Code of conduct
Fantasy Fest has grown every year since its inception and is now the wildest extravaganza around! Fun-loving revelers from around the globe bring their creativity and imaginations as they descend upon Key West each year in October for 10 days filled with costuming, parades, libations, and excitement!
Fantasy Fest has been compared to New Orleans Mardi Gras and Carnival in Rio de Janeiro. The highlight of Fantasy Fest is its parade featuring humorous floats, including one carrying the annually elected Conch King and Queen.
Nudity is illegal in Key West, but on the last two days of Fantasy Fest the city designates a “Fantasy Zone” in the city where women may expose their breasts if they are covered with body paint. Costumes worn at Fantasy Fest often feature nudity and sexual symbolism.
- Goombay – a two-day street party held in Key West’s Bahama Village (map) neighborhood. It is named after the Goombay goatskin drums that generate the party’s rhythms and celebrates the heritage of Key West’s large Bahamian population with food, art and a lot of dancing.
- Zombie Bike Ride: family-friendly event involving costume and bicycle decoration.
- Tutu Tuesday: adult costume party with tutu dress code.
- Fogarty’s Red Party: adult party with red costumes, decor, and festivities. The original Fantasy Fest “color” party.
- The Street Fair: food, drink, costume, and arts and crafts down *Duval Street (map).
- The Masquerade March – a daytime procession through the streets of Key West.
- The Fantasy Fest parade – the culmination of the festival.
FUTURE FANTASY FEST DATES!
- 2022: 10/21 – 10/30
- 2023: 10/20 – 10/29
- 2024: 10/18 – 10/27
- 2025: 10/17 – 10/26
- 2026: 10/16 – 10/25
Key West claims to be the only city in the lower 48 states to have never had a frost or a snowfall.